- Teaching French like a Language and Teaching British to Loudspeakers of Other Languages, Dual Master’s
- MA Students Discuss Dance Education at NYU Steinhardt
Teaching French like a Language and Teaching British to Loudspeakers of Other Languages, Dual Master’s
Study in Paris and New You are able to City
We regret that applications aren’t presently being recognized with this program.
This excellent, trans-Atlantic master of arts program results in eligibility for dual initial certification like a teacher of French for grades 7-12 along with a teacher of British to loudspeakers of other languages (TESOL) for grades K-12. Spend two semesters in Paris immersed in French language and culture, working carefully with French experts in the area of language acquisition, and 2 semesters in New You are able to City learning pedagogical theories and student teaching at two different schools. You’ll obtain the experience you have to launch your job.
This program is provided jointly by NYU Steinhardt’s Language Education program and also the NYU Graduate School of Arts and Science’s Department of French as well as their NYU Paris program.
A lot of students signed up for this master’s program get a 30% tuition reduction. You may even be qualified for any federal Educate grant, which supplies $4,000 annually for individuals prepared to educate in low-earnings areas. Merit-based scholarships can be found too.
What you’ll learn
- Second language acquisition and research, the contemporary theory and exercise training other languages, and queries in learning and teaching
- French grammar, phonetics, and linguistics
- Intercultural perspectives and communicative teaching methods
- Language assessment and 2nd language acquisition research
- Adolescent development and teaching students with special needs
Begin to see the curriculum and degree needs with this master’s program.
Visit a sample sequence of courses and browse course descriptions.
The first year in Paris
Spend the first year within the program studying full-time within the Latin Quarter, a historic neighborhood in the middle of Paris. Refine a foreign language skills, study language acquisition with French specialists, and observe a range of French like a language classes at NYU Paris. You’ll also take classes at NYU Paris, and take part in weekly workshops and guest lectures.
- French immersion
Throughout the two semesters you’ll spend in Paris, you’ll immerse yourself in French language and culture and work carefully with French specialists in the area of language acquisition, applying the help of the Department training French like a Language (Département de didactique du français langue étrangère) from the College of Paris III-Sorbonne Nouvelle, along with the Institute of General and Applied Linguistics and Phonetics (Institut de linguistique et de phonétique générales et appliquées) through NYU Paris.
- Pedagogical learning
You will be mentored and led via a critical reflection of learning and teaching by faculty at NYU Paris and French universities, who’re specialists in language acquisition and authors of language textbooks. Their regions of academic inquiry include language instruction, grammar, phonetics, socio- and psycho-linguistics, contemporary French civilization, French literature, a brief history of ideas, teaching pedagogy, and also the teaching of French like a language in France.
- Field encounters
You will see French like a language classes trained at NYU Paris, finishing 50 hrs of fieldwork, and interact carefully with students and teachers.
Your next year in New You are able to City
It will cost your next year within the program like a full-time student at NYU’s founding campus in New You are able to City, staring at the theory and exercise training other languages and techniques of communicative teaching. You might also need a choice to consider yet another summer time course to increase your certification to incorporate teaching other languages in the K-6 level.
- Pedagogical learning
Core courses cover general pedagogical issues in addition to understanding important to language learning and teaching and teaching British like a second language. Included in this are: queries in learning and teaching, adolescent development, teaching students with special needs, and content-based pedagogical courses including intercultural perspectives, techniques and methods of communicative teaching, language through content, language assessment, and 2nd language acquisition and research.
- Student teaching in New You are able to City schools
You’ll complete two semesters of student teaching at New You are able to City schools – teaching French inside a middle or senior high school and TESOL within an grade school. Cooperating teachers and NYU faculty will offer you guidance that will help you refine your teaching techniques. Because the year progresses, you’ll assume growing responsibility for your own personel classroom.
- To be able to make an application for admittance to the program, you have to hold a baccalaureate degree having a minor or major in French language or literature or perhaps an equivalent degree from your accredited college or college.
- To become suggested for teacher certification when completed of the program, you’ll want completed a minimum of 24 college credits in French just before admission and 9 credits in math, science, and social studies. If you don’t meet this credit requirement, you might go ahead and take CLEP exam to earn an equivalency of 12 college credits, NYU SCPS’s language proficiency test to earn an equivalency as high as 16 college credits, or even the ACTFL Language Assessment (OPI and WPT) to earn as much as 30 credits (to learn more, see NYSED ACTFL Information).
- In your application, you need to submit three recommendations as well as an academic writing sample in French that won’t exceed 25 pages.
- The GRE is needed. Observe how to submit a score for that GRE.
For application deadlines, a complete listing of needs, and more information how you can apply, begin to see the Graduate Admissions Application Guide with this program.
Get ready for a job like a
- French and British language teacher in public places, charter, and independent schools or community organizations
- Curriculum developer, specialist, or evaluator
- Investigator, teacher educator, trainer, or program coordinator in governmental and non-profit educational agencies and multinational corporations
To learn more relating to this MA program, please contact
Coordinator, Joint MA Programs
Affiliate Professor, Department of Learning and teaching
NY Director, NYU Paris
Professor of French
Department of French
Graduate School of Arts and Science
Director, NYU Paris
Professor of French
57 Boulevard Saint Germain